The Sousa Mendes Foundation, dedicated to honoring the memory of the Holocaust rescuer Aristides de Sousa Mendes and to educating the world about his good work, has a two-fold mission:
- raising funds for the restoration of the Casa do Passal and the creation within its walls of a museum and memorial site; and
- sponsoring US-based projects that perpetuate the legacy of Aristides de Sousa Mendes. These projects include:
- • identifying and locating families rescued by Aristides de Sousa Mendes and obtaining their testimonials;
- • organizing anniversary celebrations and other events commemorating Sousa Mendes’ heroic acts;
- • supporting the publication of scholarly work on the Holocaust, its victims and its rescuers;
- • creating exhibitions and other educational materials about the Holocaust, its victims and its rescuers;
- • additional efforts to promote widespread knowledge about Aristides de Sousa Mendes and bring honor to his memory.